St Katherine’s School & Nursery
Home Learning Procedure September 2018
Home learning gives the pupil the opportunity to reflect on, consolidate and apply learning. This has a positive effect on their progress and begins to make them responsible for their own learning; an important skill for their future. The Key areas for St Katherine's are:
- Good balance between family time and homework
- Working closely with parents
- Homework increasing as the pupil gets older in preparation for secondary school
- Consolidation of mathematical learning
- Emphasis on sounds and spelling rules
- Developing a love for reading and recognition of the importance of comprehension
Following parental surveys in July 2018, we have updated or Home Learning Procedures. The following procedures for each year group are set out below and the key changes following feedback are:
- Reading books must be in daily, they will be checked and changed if necessary. Home reading will be recorded on the Race to Read charts.
- Whenever your child is heard read in school this will be recorded in the Reading Journal.
- New Reading comprehension provide increased challenge and will be used in Guided Reading Sessions in Class - where feedback and discussion will be provided to the children.
- Increased focus on times tables. Maths Home Learning for Y1-Y4 children will be Times Tables. Y5 and Y6 children will be challenged with R
- Nursery: borrow books from the Loyalty Lending Library on a weekly basis.
- Nursery: receive the Nursery Rhyme Challenge on a termly basis.
- YR-Y6: reading book and Reading Journal must be in school on a daily basis.
- YR-Y6: reading should be carried out daily or at least three times a week.
- Y1-Y6: comprehension sent home weekly on a Friday to be returned by the following Wednesday. Please note to meet all the children’s needs some children we be asked to do the questions and word work and some will also be asked to at least one of the extension questions. The class teacher will let you know what your child needs to do. But if you would like to do extra fell free to do so.
- Nursery: phonics learning sent home weekly.
- YR-Y6: spelling words to be learnt at home termly.
- YR-Y1: phonics learning sent home weekly on a Friday to be returned by the following Wednesday.
- Y2-Y6: Spelling Detective Challenge sent home weekly on a Friday to be returned by the following Wednesday.
- Y1-Y4: times tables sent home weekly on a Monday and tested on a Friday.
- Y5-Y6: reasoning questions sent home weekly on a Monday and returned for Friday.
- YR: Learning Journal sent home weekly.
- YR-Y6: topic learning sent home termly on the Friday before the final week of term to be returned either by end of term or first day back of new term. During this time no home learning will be set except for reading.
Please note that it is vital your child’s home learning is returned on time as teachers have set times to mark. If for any reason your child is unable to hand their home learning in by the deadline, please communicate this to the class teacher.